|| the-scottish-villages.co.uk |||| st. boswells scotland ||
St. Boswells Scotland
|| HOME | LOCATION | HISTORY | FACILITIES | CONTACT ||
Information on the village of St. Boswells in Scotland.
Back to: St Boswells Organisations
St Boswells Rugby Football Club
ST BOSWELLS RFC
Contact David & Scott Elliot (01835 863623)
Training Nights: Tuesday & Thursday evenings. matches on Saturdays.
A Short History
Having a "moveable" pitch meant that there could be few fixed facilities; for example, the Club used the ex-Army baths which used to be at the old bus station. In 1951, with the new school and associated ground being made available, the club purchased two huts for changing accommodation. However, soon afterwards, they were on the move again. By 1966 the club was really struggling with a downturn in the interest of the public. The committed men and players of the past were gone, and few younger ones were prepared to turn out to play, never mind to be on the committee. They played on with a very understrength side, and lost all 15 matches that year. Increasing travelling costs made sure that the financial state of the club was always parlous. Fund raising events to cover the running costs became more and more important, even when the cricket club premises were used for serving teas and entertaining visiting sides.
The possibility of getting Scottish Sports Council Grant funding, put even more pressure on fund raising as 50% funding was what was on offer. Plans were drawn up, sums done, and in February 1983, work started on the new pitch and clubhouse at Jenny Moore's Road at a cost of £36, 500, £16,771 of which came from grants. The rest came from fund-raising, loans from Scottish Brewers, members' loans, village groups and other benefactors. The new clubhouse was opened on 21st September 1983.
Now playing in the Edinburgh District League, the club had spawned a second fifteen, had started a 200 club, and at the AGM in 1984, a profit was declared and repayment of loans started. The club finished third in their league and won their own sevens tournament. Profitability continued as the club first fifteen moved into Division 7, then Division 6, then Division 5 of the National Leagues, with the second fifteen now playing in Division 1 of the Edinburgh District Seconds Leagues.
The extra profitability allowed renovation and extension of the clubhouse facilities in 1989. With the first team now playing in Division 3, the clubrooms were again extended, money coming from grants, loans etc again, and the extension opened in 1993.
In 1996, the club, now in National League Division 2, held a 70th Anniversary function when the following was published to sum up the story of the club to that date:
"1926 to 1996 has seen St Boswells Rugby Club rise from humble beginnings, revived in 1946, almost closed in 1966, came into their own in 1983 when they found what they were looking for – a permanent ground and clubhouse, and how members rallied to the call in 1983 and again in 1987 and 1992 to make the present Clubhouse what it is today.
The people of Newtown and St Boswells have given generously to fund raising. The Club is a business now, and owes so much to the Presidents, the Treasurers and Secretaries and to the Committees who have served the Club. Also, the Ladies Committee who have contributed so much to the running of the Club, to its Sponsors and to its members who frequent the Club.
The amateur code is gone, professionalism is here and the talk of money has taken over and some Clubs are more interested in their own development. Let's hope it is not at the expense of the smaller clubs. We are entering the unknown, and our survival depends on how we meet the future. The Committee is hopeful we can take a lead and keep the Club going forward."
Today, in late 2006, the Club is still there, playing, but problems, both on and off the field, are gathering. Let us hope the Club can continue.
St Boswells Rugby Football Club, Scotland