| the-scottish-villages.co.uk | | st. boswells scotland |

St. Boswells Scotland

  |   HOME   |   LOCATION   |   HISTORY   |   FACILITIES   |   CONTACT   |  

Information on the village of St. Boswells in Scotland.

Back to: St Boswells News and Calendar


Minutes of Meeting of 25th October 2018

St Boswells’ Community Council.
Minutes of Meeting
Thursday 25th October 2018 Lesser Village Hall @ 7.30pm.

1. J Pollock welcomed everyone to the meeting and advised what to do in the event of fire.

2. Attending: J Pollock, C Strang, M Barrie, A Marks, W Burns, G Tweddle, A Drummond, S Pollock. Cllrs. S Scott, S Hamilton. 6 members of the public.

3. Apologies: W Taylor, A Patterson, A Frank, R Parker..
Minutes of last meeting : Proposed – A Marks, Seconded – W Burns.

4. Police Report: Pc Entwistle is now one of the community officers covering Galashiels. No replacement has yet been appointed so he will remain our point of contact for any issues .
Jamie.entwistle@scotland.ppn.police.uk
There were no recorded incidents of note in September, but he wishes to alert people to the dangers of cyber scams. ( see police page)

Matters Arising:
a)Remembrance Sunday.
• Church Service at 10am followed by wreath laying at the village war memorial.
• GP to tidy area around memorial, trim hedges etc.
• Information sign with links to websites to be unveiled.
• A Drummond to organise photographs to send to press.
• British Legion bench – J Pollock & legion members to meet with A Finnie (SBC) on 1ST Nov. to discuss.

b) Use of generic email address for secretary’s post. It was agreed to go ahead with this. G Tweddle to investigate implementation

c) Christmas Lights. It was agreed to replace all 185 bulbs with coloured Led ones. G Tweddle doing costings. A Drummond to contact Scott Ruthven.

d) War Memorial Website: Now up and running with information of all names from WW1. Plaque to be attached to railings by the memorial.

e) Summary of C.C. Network meeting at SBC Headquarters on Wed.17th October. J Pollock, G Tweddle & C Strang attended. The meeting discussed engagement with SBC and having a presence and influence on decisions affecting our communities. The CC have not yet received minutes of this meeting. St B CC will continue to support and attend meetings.

f) Pathways: Upgrade of path south of the rugby/football pitches completed - Thanks to M Douglas ( Tech Services, SBC) Update on Woodland drive – contact has been made with Tennis Club re. contribution to costs – awaiting reply. Pathway into middle wood - work has been completed by Borders Pathways team (SBC) extending and improving one of the paths leading to the pond. Thanks to S Gray ( SBC Pathways) for securing that work on our behalf. Concerns raised about contamination to pond and burn, SEPA have taken water samples. J Pollock will contact them for clarification.

g) St B. C.C. Facebook page. Now up and running. G Tweddle to arrange dates/venue for meeting to discuss format/parameters.

h) Use of CC and Bcc in emails. Discussed as per SBC privacy policy.

i) Car Boot Sales. Reflected on this year’s car boot sales. Agreed on 12 for 2019. Changes to Code of Practice for organisations to include:
• Suggested standard charges for stall holders.
• The need for at least 6 people on duty at any time.
• Organisers to wear Hi Viz vests.

J) C Strang has taken over post of Secretary. Council members to ensure he has their details and email addresses.

g) Any Matters outstanding.
• Tennis club have ordered new shed which C.C. may use to store tools.
• Tree blown down at woodland has been removed and dangerous branches will also be removed.
• Horse lorry parked on Green. Letter to be sent to owner and their landlord Buccleuch estates

6) SBC Councillors report. Damaged sign on A68 – S Hamilton will report.
Weirgate Brae to be closed on 30th Oct 9.30 – 3pm for road maintenance.
New budget for SBC has been agreed and will mean more savings/cuts to services.
Harestanes: £320,000 for new playpark with emphasis on disabled access. Work to be completed by Spring 2019.

7) Correspondence: Scams – see police report.

8) Treasurers Report: A Marks. Balance - £4,108.15. Income -nil, Expenditure - £30.
Monies carried forward £4,078.15 which includes £250 Green Maintenance Fund, £1,500 ringfenced for St Boswells’ Community Woodland. Balance of £2,328.15 of normal funds available.

9)Planning – nothing outstanding.

10) Any Other Business:
• Dog fouling bin. (between Benrig Rd end and Thoartergate) SBC considering best location.
• Damaged signs within village to be identified and reported to Neighbourhood services at SBC.
• SBC will continue to plant up planters on A68 at entrances to village for time being. (Other planters in village tended by members of CC).
• Two Villagers working on Duke of Edinburgh Award – J Pollock to arrange voluntary work.
• Amey . A Drummond to write letter re. state of Longnewton section of road.
• Concern was raised re overgrown hedges on paths around village. J Pollock to check with S Gray (SBC) to determine who is responsible for which hedges.
• Member of public expressed concern re need for drop down kerb at Southfield. Cllr Scott offered to take this up on her behalf.

Date of next meeting: Thursday 29th November @ 7.30 in the Lesser Village Hall.

Minutes of Meeting of 25th October 2018, Scotland