| the-scottish-villages.co.uk | | st. boswells scotland |

St. Boswells Scotland

  |   HOME   |   LOCATION   |   HISTORY   |   FACILITIES   |   CONTACT   |  

Information on the village of St. Boswells in Scotland.

Back to: St Boswells News and Calendar


Minutes of the Meeting of St Boswells Community Council of 28th September 2017

St Boswells Community Council
Minutes of Meeting
Thursday 28 September 2017
Lesser Village Hall
at 7.30pm

J Pollock advised the meeting of what to do in the event of a fire.

Attending: D Oliver, R Parker, A Marks, J Pollock, A Drummond, Councillor S Hamilton, D Black, PC J Dawson and 2 members of the public

Apologies: E Reid, M Evans, S Pollock and Councillors J Brown and S Scott

Minutes of Last Meeting:
The minute of meeting on 31 August 2017 was approved on the proposal of D Black seconded by A Drummond.

Police Report:
A report was presented by PC J Dawson. It was reported that the Police have recorded 22 incidents, of which the majority were minor and/or non-criminal – there were 4 Road Checks with no offences detected - no recorded incidents of Youth Antisocial Behaviour - there was an incident of an adult Female sustaining a minor bite injury to a leg from a Boxer type dog – there was a theft of catalytic convertors stolen from vehicles owned by Border Toyota and theft of catalytic convertors and wing mirror covers from Lawries Garage.
PC Dawson retires from the Police after 30 years of service – J Pollock made a short presentation acknowledging PC Dawson's support and professionalism. Until a replacement is appointed any issues that arise can be emailed to JedburghDistrictCPT@scotland.pnn.police.uk

Matters Arising
• War Memorial – A Drummond reported that he has been advised by Church of Scotland that they have written to St Boswells Church asking for their views to the ground being transferred to The Community Council jurisdiction. J Pollock and another volunteer have cleaned and weeded round the War Memorial in preparation for Remembrance Day. A Drummond also confirmed that the War Memorial now has a website domain address of www.st-boswells-war-memorial.org.uk
• Old Link Road behind Jenny Moores Road – J Pollock and volunteers have cleared an area to allow for the erection of signage. GB Landscaping appear to have confirmed the loan of a post borer to help with the project. A Drummond to follow up.
• Buccleuch Estates Ground Transfer – A Drummond confirmed that documentation has been passed to Pike and Chapman, Solicitor who will act for the Community Council. Buccleuch Estates will meet any legal costs relating to this transaction
• Entrance Signs to Village – No information available as to the status of our funding application to the Locality Forum on 13 September. Councillor Hamilton agreed to follow this up.
• Lawrie's Garage/Border Motors planning proposal – A number of Committee members attended the presentation of Border Motors outline proposals held in the Village Hall on 12 September. After a brief discussion the meeting was generally supportive of the proposals with the caveats that the A68 access/egress needed particular attention, and, that Scottish Borders Council required to address the potential of a conjoined boundary between Newtown St Boswells and St Boswells contrary to their policy against ribbon development.
• Benches within the village –J Pollock confirmed that we are awaiting delivery of 2 new picnic tables and D Oliver confirmed that circular bases have been ordered and await delivery from Travis Perkins.
• A68/A699 – The continued lack of action from AMEY to improve the road surfaces on the A68 between Lauder and Jedburgh. Councillor Hamilton highlighted the historic difficulty in establishing meaningful communication between local representatives and AMEY and noted the view that the Village junction with the A68 at the Buccleuch Hotel would be better served by introducing traffic lights and the removal of the traffic island. Councillor Hamilton to follow up.
• Bus Stance, village parking and redevelopment – R Parker confirmed that CC report and the responses from SBC Officials had been forwarded to Councillor Scott and we awaited his response.
• Dog Fouling – the CC are still awaiting contact from the Dog Warden service regarding additional signage and painted transfers. Councillor Hamilton agreed to follow up the non-response from the Dog Wardens Service. Anyone can refer to the Dog Warden Service by telephoning 0300 100 1800 although the local press has reported on the lack of availability of staff and resources to meet this Council wide problem.
• Public Toilet opening times and charges – We await a report back from Councillor Scott on the new Administrations review of the decision around opening times and charges.
• Notice Boards – G Oliver, Joiners are in process of completing repairs to notice boards.
• Boer War Tree – Milestone have confirmed availability of tree at a cost of £105 and will deliver to site at War Memorial. The Parks Department are to be contacted to effect planting.
• Appeal for New Members to CC – The CC currently operates below authorised membership and there are indications that 2 (possibly 3) members may not stand again at May 2018 election. Agreement was reached regarding a programme of advertising which will be coordinated by A Drummond, and existing members agreed to canvass by personal contact.
• Garden Waste – R Parker reported that the letter prepared by A Drummond has been slightly amended and will printed on coloured paper before house to house delivery. There has been no response from SBC regarding publicity material and signage. A written request from E Reid was considered and it was agreed to include the Buccleuch Kennels area in this project because of garden waste tipping along Clapperton Path.
• Obsolete Road Signs – A Finnie, SBC is to be contacted to seek removal of obsolete signage on the A699 adjacent to the former Hunt Masters cottage.

Councillor Report:
Councillor Hamilton reported on
(a) confirmation that the Cheviot Area Locality Forum has £85000 available for CC grant applications and await bids from CC’s
(b) the new Administration has published its 5 year plan which may be affected by budget constraints
(c) meetings between Councillors and Broadband suppliers to effect better broadband cover in Borders area and
(d) cross Border discussions involving Scottish Borders, Northumberland and Dumfries and Galloway regarding shared issues such as education, transport, environment and employment

Correspondence: For September 2017
• Road Closures – various
• Neighbourhood watch newsletter and warning re scams – various
• Treasurers Report
• Car Boot Sale – Emails and by post - requests for dates/pitches/cancellations – agreement forms
• Ground transfer on the Green – emails, correspondence and telephone calls
• Sign for Old Link Road – email
• Ground transfer from West Croft Trust – various emails from CofS
• Minutes of last CC meeting
• Gypsy fair dates and post event meeting – various emails
• Defibrillators for communities Awareness Campaign material
• Relocation of Lawries Garage public consultation notice
• CC Meeting dates – correspondence with Village Hall committee
• Summer Updates and CC activities – various emails
• Lady Haig Poppy Factory – order confirmation and receipt
• SP Energy Networks – Partnership Opportunities
• Bright Starts Out of School Childrens Club – request to present to CC
• Scottish Community Alliance Newsletter
• Cheviot Locality Committee – Agenda for 13 Sept meeting
• Scottish Borders Third Sector – a new website (Face PR)
• John Lamont MP news
• Scottish Borders National Park feasibility study
• Countryside Alliance Awards 2017
• Planning Aid Scotland – Patrick Geddes Learning festival 28/29 Sept
• Building Scotlands Low Emission Zones – consultation
• SB Community Planning Partnership Draft Plan – consultation ending on 16 Sept
• Police Scotland – Your views count survey
• B and C Shelters sales material
• Gypsy Fair cost to SBC – various emails
• Golden Jubilee Foundation Annual Review 2016/2017
• Creative Play sales material
• St Boswells regeneration – email
• Boer War tree – email re replacement tree and planting
• Making Places funding – notice of changes
• Old Signage – email
• Cheviot locality Committee – minute of meeting on 13 Sept
• Countryside Alliance ‘Rural Oscars’ nomination forms
• Proposal from Hawick Community Council to form a Community Council Action Group to support Borders rail Extension

Treasurer's Report: A Marks, Treasurer reported the following;
• Balance brought forward from 31 August 2017 - £1521.51
• Income received – £160 (Green usage and donation for Village Bench renovation)
• Expenditure – £27.98 (Chairman expenses and Hire of St Boswells Village Hall)
• Monies Carried forward at 28 September 2017 - £1653.43
• The Road on the Green Maintenance Fund @ 28 September 2017(based on 10% income) is £250 leaving a balance of £1403.43 normal funds available. All normal working funds are now in the Clydesdale Bank. The Royal Bank account is being kept open for all income and expenditure relating to the War Memorial Project.
Planning: There is an application for the erection of a single storey extension at Mary Cottage, Main street, St Boswells

Any other business:
• Scottish Power Network – CC agreed to erect a poster on notice board.
• Bright Start Children's Club – CC agreed to invite organiser to a future meeting.
• Car Boot Sales – CC agreed to give preference to local organisations for the 14/15 dates that are available during the summer season. The CC will organise an event during May and another during July 2018. It was proposed that the new CC commencing May 2018 should consider separating off the coordinating function for Car Boot Sales from the role of the Secretary.
• Green Bins – Councillor Hamilton reported that the new SBC Administration was considering the reintroduction of Green Bins but that insufficient funds might stymie this option.
• Community Woodland – R Parker and J Pollock reported
(a) that the Buccleuch Estates Head Forester has detailed the Health and Safety, Risk Assessment and First Aid at Work requirements to allow for any felling of Spruce trees and a requirement to replant with Scottish hard wood trees
(b) we await further communication from Buccleuch Estates regarding a lease to the CC which would allow us to make grant applications to develop access and other facilities
(c) the Forestry Research Station, based at Roslin, has been conducting a long term research of an area of the woodland affected by Ash die back and we will not be able to progress any developments in that specific area
(d) volunteers have continued clearing nettles and undertaking other work
(e) we are proposing to try and organise an open volunteer day sometime during late October/early November, to organise an evening debate that invites existing volunteers and other local people to discuss the future of the woodland, and, to coordinate with the Woodland Trust Project Team for an action day to upgrade drainage ditches, plant trees, install river and pond filters and clear barbed wire and netting from the access path to the Laretburn right of way and
(f) J Pollock confirmed that the Tree Charter has donated an Oak tree for planting in the woodland
• Post Office – we were reminded that the Post Office is undertaking a public consultation on the closure of the St Boswells Post Office and transfer of PO services to the R McColl shop.

Date and time of next meeting:
Next meeting will be on Thursday 26 October 2017 @ 7.30pm @ Lesser Hall of the Village Hall

Minutes of the Meeting of St Boswells Community Council of 28th September 2017, Scotland