| the-scottish-villages.co.uk | | st. boswells scotland |

St. Boswells Scotland

  |   HOME   |   LOCATION   |   HISTORY   |   FACILITIES   |   CONTACT   |  

Information on the village of St. Boswells in Scotland.

Back to: St Boswells News and Calendar


Minutes of the Meeting of St Boswells Community Council of 31st August 2017

St Boswells Community Council
Minutes of Meeting
Thursday 31 August 2017
Lesser Village Hall
at 7.30pm

J Pollock advised the meeting of what to do in the event of a fire.

Attending: D Oliver, R Parker, A Marks, J Pollock, A Drummond, S Pollock, Councillor Scott, D Black, E Reid, PC J Dawson and 2 members of the public

Apologies: Councillors J Brown and S Hamilton and M Evans

Minutes of Last Meeting: The minute of meeting on 29 June 2017 was approved on the proposal of A Drummond seconded by D Oliver.

Police Report: A report was presented by PC J Dawson. It was reported that the Police have recorded 95 incidents, of which the majority were minor and/or non-criminal – there were 7 recorded crimes, the most significant being:
(a) 1 assault
(b) 2 road users being charged with using mobile phones while driving and 1 being charged with use of alcohol/speeding offences
(c) theft of 2 kissing gates near Benrig Dene
(d) theft by housebreaking
(e) attempted theft of a significant length of telegraph cable
(f) theft of diesel fuel from HGV at Charlesfield and a single vehicle accident.
There was 1 report of youth anti-social behaviour.
The Police reported that there were no problems experienced relating to the recent Gypsy Fair.

Matters Arising
• War Memorial – A Drummond reported there has been no further correspondence from The Church of Scotland. D Oliver reported that we require professional help with the grant applications and will refer to H Batch @ Bridge Project. A Drummond also confirmed that the War Memorial now has a website domain address of www.st-boswells-war-memorial.org.uk
• Old Link Road behind Jenny Moores Road – A Drummond confirmed that signage had been ordered.
• Buccleuch Estates Ground Transfer – A Drummond confirmed that he has received a draft ground disposition from Buccleuch Estates and this has been referred to SBC Legal Services. Apparently, Buccleuch estates have offered to meet any legal costs relating to this transaction
• Entrance Signs to Village – J Pollock and Councillor Scott confirmed that the funding (£1380) to meet replacement of village entrance signs will come from either the Quality of Life or Small Schemes funds and will be presented for approval at the Cheviot Area/Locality Forum scheduled for 14 September 2017.
• Benches within the village – J Pollock presented a detailed report and recorded the appreciation of the Community Council regarding the financial support from 3 local people to provide 2 new memorial benches and the renovation/relocation of another. The bench at Benrig Road End has been refurbished by the Community Punishment Team and reinstalled with a base (following a donation of materials from a villager). The 2 benches at the War Memorial have been renovated and are back in place. There has also been a meeting with an SBC Environmental Services Officer regarding grass cutting and strimming around benches. Picnic tables have been ordered and the meeting approved additional expenditure on circular bases – purchase to be actioned by D Oliver.
• A699 Roadside Repairs – J Pollock and Councillor Scott reported that proposals for repair to the War Memorial and The Green (opposite the Tennis Court entrance) areas have been costed by A Finnie, SBC and a funding application will be made to the Small Scheme and Quality of Life Funds. Councillors Scott and Hamilton have been fully appraised of this proposal.
• Bus Stance, village parking and redevelopment – Councillor Scott has requested a copy of the original briefing report submitted to SBC along with the email responses from K McGrath, SBC School Travel Coordinator and R Cramb, SBC Assistant Road Safety and Traffic Management Officer to consider raising the issues again.
• Dog Fouling – the CC are still awaiting contact from the Dog Warden service regarding additional signage and painted transfers. Anyone can refer to the Dog Warden Service by telephoning 0300 100 1800 although the local press has reported on the lack of availability of staff and resources to meet this Council wide problem. The meeting discussed possible options that could be organised without SBC assistance.
• Public Toilet opening times and charges – Councillor Scott reported that as far as he was aware the toilet opening times remained the same as previously. He also reported that the new Administration was reviewing the decision to impose charges, which was introduced to raise funds, as there appeared to be concerns about the arbitrary nature of the public toilets selected. In St Boswells, it has been observed that parents have been taking their children around the back of the toilet block to urinate.
• School extension and solar panels Planning Application – The application has been approved with conditions, the main condition being that work commencement is delayed until November.
• Any Matters Outstanding –
(a) St Boswells Gardening Competition - J Pollock, M Evans and E Reid coordinated the judging and the winners have been given their prizes. Notification of the results has been published on the Community Council notice board and the local press. The appreciation of the Community Council has been issued to Milestone for providing judges and prizes and to Travis Perkins for the Caddon Design trophy
(b) Edwardian Lamps and Commemorative Plaques - J Pollock gave a detailed report with photographs. A Marks and D Oliver and another local villager assisted in the project which has now been featured in the local press. The support and skill of JJ Tait Painters and Decorators was a significant factor in the success of the project. The Village Hall committee has agreed to adopt the Edwardian Lamp and will ensure future maintenance
(c) Notice Boards – D Oliver and J Pollock reported on the repair and upgrade to the Community Council notice board and the pending repair/upgrade to the Public Notice Board. The key for the Public notice board will continue to be available from the Post Office
(d) Boer War Trees (adjacent to War Memorial) – one of the trees is dead and will be replaced following offers of help from Milestone and a local villager
(e) Garden Waste dumped adjacent to St Cuthbert Way - no response has been received yet from the ‘dumbdumpers’ organisation – A Drummond will prepare a leaflet for circulation to all householders living in the Main Street/St Cuthbert Way area.
(f) Planters at end of Hamilton Place and Springfield Terrace – these planters are now supported by the Community Council and have been painted and planted – a letter of thanks is to be issued to the local householder who has taken responsibility for the Hamilton Place planter for the last twenty years.

Councillor Report:
Councillor Scott reported on
(a) an application by SBC to the Scottish Government for locality projects has resulted in £85000 for the Cheviot Area and the CC might apply for some of that funding
(b) Borders Motors are applying to vacate the Lawries Garage site and erect a new build adjacent to the Toyota Garage – they commence a public consultation process on 12 September at St Boswells Public Hall to which anyone is invited
(c) Post Office move to the R McColl Store – a consultation process has commenced and anyone who wishes to can obtain an information sheet from the Post Office and can express their views by computer, telephone and post
(d) The recent Car Boot sale on the Green was excellent
(e) Gypsy Fair – this appears to have gone well. Mr Scott was requested to obtain a costing of the SBC support of this event
(f) Conservation Area Status and Planning criteria – in view of apparent inconsistences in decisions between different areas in the Borders and also a lack of enforcement within St Boswells Mr Scott was asked to obtain a copy of the local criteria

Correspondence: For June 2017
• Road Closures – various
• Neighbourhood watch newsletter and warning re scams – various
• Treasurers Report
• Car Boot Sale – Emails and by post - requests for dates/pitches/cancellations – agreement forms
• Committee Papers -Trust Reorganisation
• Ground Transfer on the Green – emails Buccleuch Estates and C of S
• Supply and Pricing of Road Sign – email
• Judging of Garden Competition – email
• Borders Rail Network extension – proposal papers
• School Extension Planning application – email
• Location of Bus Stance – various emails
• Parking issues Springfield Terrace – various emails
• Poverty Conference – FutureScot – 05 Oct
• St Boswells programme of planned revenue and capital works 2017/2018
• Minutes of June CC Meeting
• Agenda for SBCCN meeting on 12 July – Minutes for same meeting
• Borders Transport Corridors – pre-appraisal survey invitation
• Border Buses Newsletter
• War Memorial funding sources – various emails
• Scottish Community Alliance July Newsletter
• Gypsy Fair dates – various emails
• Health and Social Care Locality Plans for consultation
• Missing kissing gates near Benrig Dene – various emails
• 2017 Volunteer Awards entry form
• Bags of Help Fund – info
• Scottish Health Council – Strengthening Peoples voices in health and social care
• Village lamps and plaques – various emails
• Damaged Road Signs – various emails
• SBC Audit and Scrutiny Committee – applications sought
• Missing Car Boot Signs – various emails
• SBC Community Planning Partnership – draft Community Plan for consultation
• KOMPAN Playgrounds (sales material)
• Wicksteed Playgrounds (sales material)
• Noticeboard Company (sales material)
• Management training – Talk Action – Edinburgh
• Scottish Public Services Network – Scottish Local Government Digital Partnership
• Cheviot Locality Committee Minutes for meeting on 21 June
• St Boswells Village Hall AGM 2017
• Funfair St Boswells – various emails
• Defibrillators for Communities Awareness Campaign
• Summer Update – various emails
• Placement of Sign and Groundwork – various emails
• Community Learning Exchange – application for grants
• post office Relocation Consultation

Treasurers Report:
A Marks, Treasurer reported the following;
• Balance brought forward from 29 June 2017 - £1451.04
• Income received – £522 (Green usage)
• Expenditure – £451.63 (Chairman expenses (adhesive lettering, lights and paint, screws, engraving and welding), Hire of St Boswells Village Hall, flowers and shrubs, Road Sign, Painting of Edwardian Lights)
• Monies Carried forward at 29 June 2017 - £1521.41
• The Road on the Green Maintenance Fund @ 31 August 2017(based on 10% income) is £250 leaving a balance of £1271.41 normal funds available. All normal working funds are now in the Clydesdale Bank. The Royal Bank account is being kept open for all income and expenditure relating to the War Memorial Project.
• Traffic cones for Car Boot sales – it was agreed that we investigate the cost of purchasing our own traffic cones.

Planning: There is an application by Borders Motors regarding the relocation of Lawries garage (see item above) and an application by SBC to extend the 40mph limit along the A699 towards Selkirk.

Any other business:
• Street Lighting Review by SBC – the local lights will be converted to LED lamps later in 2017
• 2018 dates for Gypsy Fair – Arriving on Friday 13 July and leaving on Thursday 19 July. Apparently, there is some confusion as to who approved these dates as the Community Council was not involved. A Drummond will write to G Higgs, Chair of the Equality Forum to ascertain the position. It was confirmed that Gypsy caravans that are trading are charged double the ground rental.
• Fun Fair – an application has been received to operate a Fun Fair on the Green – a majority of Community Council members approved it for this year on the basis of a ground rental of £20 per day, prior notification of dates to be issued to the Village and operating licence restrictions between 6.00pm and 9.00pm
• Pavement along the Avenue between Springfield Terrace road end and towards Buccleuch Hotel – the small paving stones are very slippy in damp weather and the meeting agreed to notify A Finnie, SBC to seek a solution.

Date and time of next meeting:
Next meeting will be on Thursday 26 October 2017 @ 7.30pm @ Lesser Hall of the Village Hall

Minutes of the Meeting of St Boswells Community Council of 31st August 2017 , Scotland