| the-scottish-villages.co.uk | | st. boswells scotland |

St. Boswells Scotland

  |   HOME   |   LOCATION   |   HISTORY   |   FACILITIES   |   CONTACT   |  

Information on the village of St. Boswells in Scotland.

Back to: St Boswells News and Calendar


Minutes of the Meeting of St Boswells Community Council held on 27th April 2017

St Boswells Community Council
Minutes of Meeting
27 April 2017
Lesser Village Hall
at 7.30pm

J Pollock advised the meeting of what to do in the event of a fire.

Attending: D Oliver, R Parker, A Marks, J Pollock, A Drummond, S Pollock, E Reid, D Black, M Evans, Councillor Stewart and 2 members of the public

Apologies: PC J Dawson

Minutes of Last Meeting: Subject to the additional words for ‘in respect of ownership of the ground identified for the erection of the War Memorial this ground does not belong to West Croft Trust’. The minute of meeting on 30 March 2017 was approved on the proposal of A Drummond seconded by D Oliver.

Police Report: A report written by PC J Dawson was read to the meeting. It was reported that the Police have recorded 4 crimes (3 of which are linked) and 17 incidents for the area. 6 Road Checks were carried out with 1 speeding offence detected. There have been no rural theft and no reports of youth anti-social behaviour recorded. The recorded crimes relate to thieves targeting the telephone kiosk adjacent to the Village Hall and damage to a garden wall in Jenny Moores Road.

Matters Arising
• War Memorial – D Oliver, with advice from Councillor Stewart, will now apply to the Community Grants Scheme to meet first tranche of funding to install concrete base. A Drummond has written to Church of Scotland HQ including a map identifying the proposed location of the War Memorial. A Drummond also confirmed that the War Memorial now has a website domain address of www.st-boswells-war-memorial.org.uk
• Buccleuch Estates Land Transfer - A Drummond advised that Buccleuch Estates has issued paperwork for CC ratification of return of certain land - we agreed to respond by sending a map of the area seeking clarification of the exact sizes of the area under negotiation and to underline our concern about the right of access to the private household.
• Benrig Cemetery Parking –A Finnie, SBC has confirmed that landowners need to agree to some trimming back of hedge to allow a 5.6 metre layby for passing place/parking. There will be a need to protect the BT Cable. J Pollock to meet with A Finnie at site to prepare a specific proposal to present to the landowners.
• Old Link Road behind Jenny Moores Road –J Pollock has sent email to J Lamont MSP and it appears that until the Local Election is resolved, SBC Officers have indicated that they will not pursue this issue. This matter remains unresolved and Community Council cannot pursue the matter any further. It remains in the hands of Councillor Stewart.
• Orchard Park – Following the last CC meeting information became available as to the ownership of the access routes from Orchard Park into the field used by local horse owners and as a consequence a proposed letter to SBHA was cancelled. The meeting approved that the Secretary write to the owners requesting that they take action to ensure that the area is cleared of loose feed and straw/hay. A question arose as to the welfare of the horses but the CC did not want to take action at this time
• Entrance Signs to Village – We await responses from A Finnie, SBC and AMEY. The SBC Road Safety Officer is meeting with J Pollock to discuss the signage arrangement on the east access to the village route. A Drummond is seeking information from SBC as to the total cost of the replacement street signage in Newtown St Boswells to allow us to make some comparisons.
• Benches within the village – following the review of all benches in the village conducted by J Pollock – 2 benches are to be removed as beyond repair and they are being replaced by the local residents who are purchasing memorial benches – 2 benches have been removed by the Criminal Justice Team and been taken away for repair – their re-installation will include proper bases which will be installed by the CJS with support from SBC – SBC will be renovating 4 other benches. CJS have provided a price list for manufacturing new benches and picnic tables which the CC will consider for future acquisition.
• A68 Urgent Repairs – Councillor Stewart reported on information he had received from Transport Scotland regarding scheduled AMEY work in May 2017 to the Charlesfield Road end to A699 Junction to north side of village near Buccleuch Hotel. There are also repairs scheduled on the route towards Jedburgh for August/September 2017.
• Bus Stance, village parking and redevelopment– A Drummond reported that the Safety Officer for Border Buses has now ordered that the Kelso bus pull into the bus station to discharge passengers. A Drummond awaits copies of the correspondence between the Bus Companies and AMEY regarding the erection of the traffic island at The Buccleuch Hotel junction
• Moles on the Green – This matter is still in progress.
• Dog Fouling – We await a service from the Dog Wardens (stencilling etc.) and J Pollock Extra has erected additional signage in the village. Anyone can refer to the Dog Warden Service by telephoning 0300 100 1800
• Pathways/Vennels to the rear of Hamilton Place and the Main Street – a complaint has been received that shrubbery and a tree had been cut down and the prunings had been dumped on the banking down to the river. 3 members of the CC had visited the location – it appears that the tree was pollarded and was located in a private garden and that other pruning work improved the public access on these established paths – the prunings have been dumped on the banking down to the river alongside other garden refuse which has been dumped in earlier years – presently SBC and the CC actively fund maintenance of the pathways and along with volunteers actively cut back green growth that impedes pedestrian access. It was agreed by the CC to note the position but not to take any action at this time, other than to informing local residents that dumping waste can lead to destabilisation of the banking, and will introduce garden plants, invasive species and disease into what is general countryside
• Any Matters Outstanding –
(a) A Drummond has written to the Rugby Club who own the property in Springfield Terrace where the hedge adjacent to the pavement is so overgrown that it impedes pedestrian access – further action will depend on response or action by any new owner.
(b) A Drummond reported that he has now received written confirmation that the Enforcement Officer with SBC Planning Service has issued an enforcement order on the owner of the Chip shop and costings/materials to replace the frontage are in hand.
(c) A Drummond reported that he has written to SBC Planning to advise that McColls have installed new shop signage without obtaining planning permission.
(d) The scheduled Cycling Tour of Britain will involve roads around Kelso but will not directly affect St Boswells (e) SBHA have removed the dead cherry trees from Lessudden Park
(f) concern was again expressed about the efficacy of the SBC Chief Executive receiving additional recompense for acting as Returning Officer in the pending local and national elections, when this is part of the posts job description. Councillor Stewart will ask questions about this with SBC and A Drummond will search CC archives to obtain copies of previous correspondence
(g) A Marks has confirmed that the village Christmas lights number about 200 (about 8 bulbs missing) and A Drummond will cost replacement with LED bulbs and discuss funding support from the Village Week Committee. (R Stewart advised that Ancrum village spent about £18K to install the tree, cabling and lighting)

Councillor Report:
Councillor Stewart reported that the Council would resume after the elections on 4 May. It appears that there is a possibility of creating an Educational campus in Jedburgh which would include all schools.

Correspondence: For April 2017
• Road Closures – various
• Neighbourhood watch newsletter and warning re scams – various
• Treasurers Report
• Car Boot Sale – Emails and by post - requests for dates/pitches/cancellations – agreement forms
• Scottish Community Alliance Newsletter – March edition
• Minutes from last meeting
• News from John Lamont MSP
• Police Report
• Bench, Notice Boards, Road Signs, Village logo, Coronation Lamps – various emails
• Meeting between CC and SBC/Police in respect of St Boswells fair July 2017 – email
• Ground Transfer on Green – email
• Chip Shop Windows and McColl signage – email to SBC
• SBCCN – Minutes of meeting
• Live Borders – saving and sharing newsletter
• AccessAble request for new Access Panel members
• Springfield Road potholes – emails
• Proludic Urbanix (sales material)
• Closure of old Road behind Jenny Moores road – various emails
• Active Environment – Community Grants – email
• Parking in Scotland consultation launch – email
Treasures Report: A Marks, Treasurer reported the following;
• Balance brought forward from 30 March 2017 - £1212.95
• Income received – Nil
• Expenditure – £20 (Hire of St Boswells Village Hall)
• Monies Carried forward at 27 April 2017 - £1192.95
• The Road on the Green Maintenance Fund (based on 10% income) is £220.50 leaving a balance of £972.45 normal funds available. All normal working funds are now in the Clydesdale Bank. The Royal Bank account is being kept open for all income and expenditure relating to the War Memorial Project.

Planning:
• A Drummond reported that there were a number of planning applications which can be accessed via the SBC website. These include 1 and 2 Laretburn Cottages, a property in Thortergate, a property at 22 Lessudden Park and an extension to and installation of solar panels at the Primary school

Any other business:
• Gypsy Fair pre-meeting with Police, SBC and CC scheduled for 7.00pm immediately prior to next CC meeting on 25 May.
• Springfield terrace road potholes have been repaired by SBC
• Orchard Park cul de sac– no parking signs have been erected by residents. These are not enforceable but since there have not been any complaints received the CC meeting agreed to note the position.
• CC Car Boot Sale scheduled for 21 May – CC members identified who will be able to volunteer on the day (D Oliver gave his apologies)
• A complaint had been received about the size of R McColl wheelie bins but it had been established that the different design did not increase the footprint – meeting noted position
• Roadside Verges on Selkirk and Maxton/Kelso Roads either side of the cross roads – discussion about options for making good the damage caused by vehicles – D Pollock to discuss with A Finnie, SBC.

Date and time of next meeting:
Next meeting will be on Thursday 25 May 2017 @ 7.30pm @ Lesser Hall of the Village Hall

Minutes of the Meeting of St Boswells Community Council held on 27th April 2017, Scotland