Minutes of the Meeting of St Boswells Community Council held on 25th May 2017
St Boswells’ Community Council
Minutes of Meeting
25th May 2017.
Lesser Village Hall
J Pollock advised meeting of what to do in the event of fire.
2. Attending: A Marks, J Pollock, A Drummond, S Pollock, M Evans, Cllr. Scott, Cllr Hamilton.
3. Apologies: D Oliver, R Parker, E Reid, D Black, Cllr. Brown, P.C. Dawson.
4. Minutes of 27/3/17 Meeting:
Approved –A Drummond. Seconded - M Evans
5. Police Report: see separate sheets.
6. Matters Arising.
• War Memorial: J Pollock & A Drummond have met with SBC to apply for grant funding. Still no progress determining ownership of ground. A Drummond has again contacted Church of Scotland – awaiting reply.
• Buccleuch Estates Ground Transfer: Members of the committee met with a representative of Buccleuch Estates to formalise the car parking spaces requested.
• Benrig Cemetery Parking: For a number of reasons and due to spiralling costs to create a passing place, the committee voted that this was no longer a viable proposition.
• Old Link Road behind Jenny Moores Road: Despite requests from Community Council, local residents, local councillors and our MSP. SBC have refused an application to close the road as they do not feel the estimated cost of £3,000.would be a good use of public funds.
• Ground Ownership Orchard Park: A Drummond emailed owner of field who will ask owner of horsebox to clean up access area.
• Entrance Signs to Village: Following meetings with representatives of SBC. Approval has been given by AMEY to renew signs on A68. Designs have been approved and are now with SBC for costing.
• Benches within village: J Pollock met with Neighbourhood services. Two new memorial benches have been ordered. Two new picnic benches to be ordered. Sites have been agreed.
• A68 – urgent repairs: St Boswells – Carter Bar, work scheduled to begin in May. Cllr Hamilton to enquire re dates etc.
• Bus Stance, Village Parking & Redevelopment: Separate group – talks ongoing.
• Moles on Green. J Pollock reported that the moles have been eradicated – at least for now.
• Dog Fouling: Talks still ongoing awaiting SBC re use of stencils in problem areas.
• Springfield Terr. Hedge – has been cut. No further action to be taken.
• Any Matters Outstanding:
• Damage to grass verges on the A699 both sides of the A68. J Pollock met with A Finnie (Neighbourhood Services) to review available options. Most cost effective solution would be to repair damaged edge and re seed. Awaiting confirmation from SBC Roads dept.
• Bin for Community Woodland – we have been allocated a bin for the lower carpark at tennis courts.
• Christmas light bulbs. Exploring replacing existing bulbs with LED ones. Estimated cost in the region of £1,000. A Drummond to approach possible partners to share the cost.
• New Nursery plan at village school. A Drummond has replied to SBC with concerns, from Community Council, re parking and dropping off points.
7. Councillors’ Report: Following elections council reforming – nothing to report.
8. Correspondence: See separate sheet.
9. Treasurer’s Report: See separate sheet.
10. Planning: no planning issues.
11. Any Other Business.
• Braeheads Pathway – A significant amount of garden waste/ fly tipping onto banking beside the pathway.. J Pollock awaiting advice from SBC depts. to address the situation.
• Due to health and safety concerns bollards have been installed at village hall to curb illegal parking.
• Edward Vll Coronation lamps at village hall. Restoration and painting has begun, though further cleaning and painting still required.
• A Drummond to write to Rory Stewart (ex local councillor) to thank him for all the help, support and advice given during his time in office.
• Local resident asked if the grass verge at east entrance to the village could be cut to the Benrig Road end – has been the case in previous years.
• Local resident expressed concerns about parking on yellow lines in the centre of the village.. PC J Dawson (Community Police) to be made aware.
12. Date of next meeting: Thursday 29th June 2017 at 7.30pm in Lesser Village Hall.