| the-scottish-villages.co.uk | | st. boswells scotland |

St. Boswells Scotland

  |   HOME   |   LOCATION   |   HISTORY   |   FACILITIES   |   CONTACT   |  

Information on the village of St. Boswells in Scotland.

Back to: St Boswells News and Calendar


Minutes of the meeting of St Boswells Community Council of 29th September 2016

St Boswells Community Council
Minutes of Meeting 29 September 2016 Lesser Hall, St Boswells Village Hall at 7.30pm

J Pollock advised the meeting of what to do in the event of a fire.

Attending: D Oliver, R Parker, A Marks, J Pollock, S Pollock, E Reid, A Drummond, D Black, PC J Dawson, Councillor R Stewart and 1 member of the public

Apologies: Councillors Brown and Scott.

Minutes of Last Meeting: On the proposal of S Pollock seconded by A Marks the minute of meeting held on 25 August 2016 was approved.

Police Report: Report presented by PC J Dawson for this meeting recorded that there have been few incidents of note during July. Three road checks resulted in no offences being detected. There has been 1 incident of youth antisocial behaviour. There have been 3 vehicular collisions during the last month including damage to a parked car from a hit and run incident which was witnessed. A forced entry was made into a house on Springfield Terrace which is still being investigated. A theft from a motor vehicle parked in Buccleuch Chase has been recorded. Careless/dangerous driving in Jenny Moores Road is being investigated. The meeting reported to the Police that young people were jumping off the wall in the bus station into pensioners gardens.

Matters Arising
• Community Woodland – Notes of the meeting of interested parties held on 12 July had been circulated to all CC members. R Powell of Buccleuch Estates has replied that he cannot see any major issues with the plans and will meet with us during late October to discuss future action including the erection of new signage. 18 people assembled at the pond on 18 September when the pond, the water head and the drainage channel were completely cleared. Other work included the partial clearance of a fallen tree, the removal of invasive Himalayan balsam and the removal and stacking of old tree guards (R Powell has agreed to remove these). A small group of people will be returning to the pond to clear the debris from the banking. The Fallago Rigg Fund has been suggested as a possible source of funding for this project. Expenditure for the path strimming work around the pond by G Pollock was approved by the Community Council
• War Memorial – D Oliver confirmed that a building company had attended the site and are preparing an estimate for work with a planned completion date prior to November 2017. J Pollock reported that the British Legion have allocated £2000 to be used on the War Memorial project.
• Buccleuch Estates request for ground held by Community Council – Nothing new to report
• Benrig Cemetery Parking – J Pollock reported that A Finnie of SBC will coordinate work to begin year end 2016
• Old Link Road behind Jenny Moores Road – This road is still designated as a public road and this will affect options to resolve issues raised by local residents. A Drummond to write to A Finnie SBC to ascertain what action is possible.
• Buccleuch Chase Roadway – The Buccleuch Chase Proprieters Association are interested in the installation of mini bollards along the roadside verge to prevent carparkers degrading the verge and in the interests of safety. It has been clarified that the section of roadside verge under debate comes under SBC responsibility. E Reid will follow this up with A Finnie, SBC and report back to Community Council if required.
• Community Council Notice Board – Discussed the options presented by J Pollock and A Drummond. A Finnie SBC has advised that if we purchase a new notice board SBC will erect it. D Oliver agreed to contact an engineer at Charlesfield to ascertain cost of manufacture locally. A Drummond to advise L Smith, Church Committee of our action and to also write to the Cricket Club and Hall Committees to ascertain the apparent non-use of 3 signs on the Village Hall wall
• Dog Fouling – S Pollock reported the CC concerns about certain areas of the village to the Community Dog Wardens. They confirmed receipt of our referral when they reported to a recent meeting of the Cheviot Area Forum.
• Mole Hills on the Green – J Pollock reported that A Finnie, SBC has referred this issue to an appropriate professional for action.
• Entrance Signs to Village and bench at A68 junction from village. J Pollock reported that any change to signage on the A68 would require Amey consent. A Finnie is apparently following this up. We discussed the replacement of the bench and agreed that R Parker, D Oliver, A Drummond and J Pollock would meet on site to discuss options.
• Defibrillator update – J Pollock met with J Melrose and confirmed that Mr Melrose and Mr R Barrie have volunteered to check the defibrillator equipment on a regular basis. The Community Council are grateful for their offer and will consider assistance in the future if requested.
• Village Speed Limit – R Parker and A Drummond have read detailed information on this issue and understand that this will require local consultation and a ballot. Councillor R Stewart advised that he had advisory documentation on this issue and would circulate it to CC members.
• Bus Stance and village parking – Councillor Sandy Scott advised that the contact person for this was a Mr Colin Banks, Cheviot Area Locality Manager. The Secretary will contact Mr Banks to seek attendance at a CC meeting.
• Any Other Matters – R Parker reported that the St Cuthbert route had reopened following the installation of bridging to cover the landslip area and that the Countryside Access Officer would consider action to improve the path from Hamilton Place to Church Wynd (subject to available funding)

SBC Councillor Report:
Councillor R Stewart reported that (a) there are 2 business cases for the location of the Tapestry of Scotland (Tweedbank and Galashiels old Post Office) and that a decision will be taken in November following site visits by SBC Councillors
(b) The Council has approved £2.4million for Road Works in the Region. St Boswells Main Street is scheduled and work will commence subject to weather conditions during the Autumn/Winter 2016
(c) the consultation period for the review of the Schools Estate has now expired and a report will be prepared
(d) Communications/Publicity – we should ensure that organisations in our area advertise in ‘Whats On In Scottish Borders’ making full use of this free publicity – contact www.liveborders.org.uk
(e) Tweed Forum Review of Progress Report available at www.tweedforum.org

Correspondence: For September 2016
• Road Closures – various
• Plantscape Creative Play products (Sales Literature)
• Neighbourhood watch newsletter and warning re scams - various
• St Boswells Village Hall - invite to open meeting
• Car Boot Sale - Requests for dates and pitches
• Emails re Hamilton Place Path
• Treasurers Report September 2016
• Planning Application Laurel cottage, Main Street
• Scottish Community Alliance Newsletter September
• Minutes from last meeting
• Poppy Factory – reminder for orders (order placed)
• Borders National Park Tourism Paper – stakeholder meeting in Jed Town Hall 17/11/2016 @ 6.30pm
• Planning Application – renewal for house in ground of Cedar Cottage
• First Aid Training – Resilient Communities
• Emails re Community Woodland pond clearance
• Scottish Borders Cycle Tourism Strategy consultation and workshop
• Governance etc. of Borders National Park
• News from John Lamont MSP
• Emails re A68 - various
• Data Protection Renewal Certificate
• Invite to Buurtzorg in the Borders @ Coldstream Community Hall 29/09/2016 @ 10.00am
• RCGP (GP of the Year) Scotland Awards
• New Trade Waste Permit Scheme
• Planning Aid Scotland – opportunities for Community Councils
• Home Energy Scotland Partnership newsletter Autumn 2016
• Generations Working together – invite to meeting
• Transitions for Young People with additional support needs – national picture (ARC Scotland)
• Police Report September 2016
• Say Hello to the UK leading online community platform

Treasurers Report:
A Marks, Treasurer reported the following;
• Balance brought forward from 25 August - £1944.76
• Income received – £87.00 (Car Boot Sales)
• Expenditure – Nil
• Monies Carried forward at 29 September 2016 - £2031.76
• The Road on the Green Maintenance Fund (based on 10% income) is £208.30 leaving a balance of £1823.46 normal funds available. All normal working funds are now in the Clydesdale Bank. The Royal Bank account is being kept open for all income and expenditure relating to the War Memorial Project.

Planning:
• Replacement windows/doors at Laurel Cottage, Main Street
• No further information about the Chip Shop window. SBC experiencing difficulty in establishing meaningful contact with the owners of the property.

Any other business:
• Duke of Edinburgh Scheme Earlston High School requires placements for students – CC requested more detailed information before it could consider the matter
• Data Protection Certificate has been reissued to CC – A Drummond will circulate and members need to consider requirements as it relates to our practice
• Remembrance Sunday on 13 November – Wreath has been ordered and J Pollock will attend as CC representative
• Car Boot Sales – a recent sale saw the organisers failing to meet the requirements regarding the placement of traffic cones and the supervision of the entrance onto the Green from the Main Street – Secretary will write to organisation expressing our concern.
• Parking at the Junction of Main Street and Hamilton Place on double yellow lines – Secretary to write to Police recording our concern

Date and time of next meeting:
Next meeting will be on Thursday 27 October 2016 @7.30pm


Minutes of the meeting of St Boswells Community Council of 29th September 2016, Scotland