| the-scottish-villages.co.uk | | st. boswells scotland |

St. Boswells Scotland

  |   HOME   |   LOCATION   |   HISTORY   |   FACILITIES   |   CONTACT   |  

Information on the village of St. Boswells in Scotland.

Back to: St Boswells News and Calendar


Minutes of the Meeting of St Boswells Parish Community Council held on 31st March 2016

St Boswells Community Council
Minutes of Meeting held on 31 March 2016
Lesser Hall, St Boswells Village Hall at 7.30pm

D Oliver advised the meeting of what to do in the event of a fire.

Attending: D Oliver, A Drummond, R Parker, A Marks, J Pollock, S Pollock, D Black, M Evans, Councillor Stewart and 3 members of the public

Apologies: Councillor Brown and PC J Dawson

Minutes of Last Meeting: On the proposal of S Pollock seconded by A Marks the minute of meeting held on 25 February 2016 was approved

Police Report: Copy of Police Report attached to minute of meeting

Matters Arising
• War Memorial – Councillor Stewart confirmed that application for funding to allow the first stage of the project to be completed is progressing (namely ground testing and obtaining a structural engineers report). Awaiting confirmation from Emma Bradley, Buccleuch Estates Agent that Community Council owns the ground.
• Buccleuch Estates request for ground held by Community Council – Awaiting written confirmation from E Bradley, Buccleuch Estates Agent.
• Village Spring Clean – R Parker reported that SBC has arranged to provide tools/equipment and pick up of rubbish collected. Agreed to include the road end at the access to the sewage treatment plant for litter picking.
• Posts at Green Track –Work has been completed. Arising from technical difficulties the actual cost exceeded original estimate. Councillor Stewart has agreed that an application to the Quality of Life Fund will be signed off to meet the excess required.
• Garden Competition – Designs for a poster were submitted for discussion. With the meetings agreement the prize money for each of the three categories will be £10 and the judging will take place during the week beginning 04 July 2016.
• Litter on Charlesfield Road – D Oliver had received a complaint but before he could take any action, SBC had completed a litter pick of the location.
• Benrig Cemetery Gate – D Oliver had received a complaint that the recent repair to the gate had not been effective. A Drummond agreed to check.
• Benrig Cemetery Parking – D Oliver has spoken to the owner of the field and other immediate landowners and they are rejecting the proposal. D Oliver has agreed to contact the owners of the field to the rear of the cemetery to ascertain their views and Councillor Stewart will seek a view from SBC.
• Dog Walkers in Benrig Road Field (opp. bridal path exit onto Kirk Road) – it has been identified that much of the dog fouling in this field may be attributable to commercial dog walking businesses. It was confirmed that no specific action could be directed to these businesses as long as dogs were kept under control. J Pollock agreed to erect standard ‘dog fouling’ posters in the area.
• General issue of dog fouling – R Parker confirmed that he had written to the member of the public who had attended a previous Community Council meeting enclosing a copy of the SBC strategy and action paper. It was also hoped that the village litter pick up scheduled for the following weekend would allow us to identify the main areas of concern and to notify SBC Dog Wardens accordingly.
• Chip Shop Window – The Community Council are awaiting a reply from the SBC Planning Enforcement Team
• Tree planting and road sightlines at the corner of Cappilaw Road and Thoartergate – SBC Planning/Roads Officers had looked at the site and confirmed that all planting had occurred on the owners land, that there was no infringements and that they would monitor the tree growth and its effect on drivers sightlines. The Community Council noted this position as there was no further action to be taken at this time.
• A68 pot holes and general condition of roads – Councillor Stewart reported on an SBC meeting earlier today which had discussed this matter and also covered the number of claims for damage to vehicles arising from driving over potholes and the outcomes. Information is available on the SBC website and there is also a formal reporting mechanism which allows the public to notify the Council of work needing to be carried out. A Drummond is to write to Transport Scotland/Amey to complain about the A68 issue. Councillor Stewart said there was no updated information about an A68 interest/users group coordinated by Amey.
• Bus Stop at end of Springfield Terrace – Councillor Stewart agreed to contact SBC to seek confirmation as to whether this was a designated bus stop. If so action will be taken to establish appropriate signage/stance.
SBC Councillor Report:
• Arising from pending Scottish Parliament election local politics is fairly dormant, however the meetings attention was drawn to the School Estate review (details on SBC website www.scotborders.gov.uk/schoolestates )
• ‘Live Borders’ – from 01 April 2016 all town halls, libraries and museums will come under the authority of this organization (www.liveborders.org.uk )
• Councillor Stewart tabled a report detailing the activities of the SBC Access Ranger Team

Correspondence:]/b]
Correspondence list attached to minute of meeting

[b]Treasurer's Report:
A Marks reported the following;
• Balance brought forward from 25 February 2016 - £2189.35
• Income received – £20 (donation to War Memorial project) and £00.58 (RBS Bank interest)
• Expenditure – £7.60 (Stationery for WW1 Exhibition) and £1361.00 (GB Landscaping installation of posts at Green Track)
• Monies Carried forward at 31 March 2016 - £841.33
• The Road on the Green maintenance Fund (based on 10% income) is £116.45 leaving a balance of £2072.90 normal funds available

Planning:
• No new applications considered

Any other business:
• SBC Floral Gateway and Community and Quality of Life Awards – meeting decided to take no action
• CAB running a Pension Wise Service – other than erecting a poster the meeting decided to take no action
• D Black confirmed that the bench from Braeheads has been repaired and painted and returned to site.
• Notification received that Lord Lieutenant has funds available for any local group wishing to organize an event to celebrate the Queens Birthday on 12 June. A Drummond to advise Village and Hall Committees and other local people will be informed.
• Community Woodland – R Parker met with R Powell, Buccleuch Estates to look at options for future community use. It was agreed to invite R Powell to the 26 May meeting.
• R Parker reported that the Countryside Access Officer is arranging for land contouring work at the Community Woodland/A68 access point and to the rear of Hamilton Place at the start of the St Cuthbert Way to assist walkers.
• D Oliver reminded meeting that we required volunteers for the Community Council Car Boot Sale scheduled for Saturday 15 May
• A Marks identified an outstanding item from an earlier meeting regarding 2015 Police crime detection rates for Scottish Borders; A Drummond reported that we still require S Smith, SBC Community Projects Officer to attend a meeting to discuss the relocation of the bus station; There has been no confirmation yet of action by Scottish Borders Housing Association to remove dead Cherry trees in Lessudden Park.

Date and time of next meeting
AGM 28 April 2016 @ 7.00pm in the Lesser Hall of Village Hall with normal meeting to follow @ 7.30pm

Correspondence in for March 2016

1. Road Closures - Various
2. Broxap's Plastic Products (Sales Literature)
3. E-mail - from Buccleuch Estates - re land on Green
4. St Boswells Live- publicity
5. BCS Bus Shelters (Sales Literature)
6. Scottish Community Alliance Newsletter (subscribed)March
7. Neighbourhood watch newsletter and warning re scams etc (various)
8. Car Boot Sale - Requests for dates, confirmation of dates and returned agreement forms
9. St Boswells Village Hall Open Meeting minutes from February 3rd 2016
10. News from John Lamont MSP
11. Community and Renewable Energy conference on 15 and 16 March
12. Health and Social Care Newsletter
13. School Estate Review and Pre-consultation
14. communication regarding Insurance cover for Litter Pick
15. Fenland Leisure Products Ltd (Sales Literature)
16. Outdoor Playground Equipment by Creative Play (Sales Literature)
17. Safer Borders News March 2016
18. The Pension Wise service
19. Info on Borders.co.uk website
20. Notification of Cheviot Area Forum meeting cancelation
21. Live Borders - integrated sport, leisure and culture trust
22. Emails regarding tree planting on Capilaw Road
23. Police Report

Minutes of the Meeting of St Boswells Parish Community Council held on 31st March 2016, Scotland