| the-scottish-villages.co.uk | | st. boswells scotland |

St. Boswells Scotland

  |   HOME   |   LOCATION   |   HISTORY   |   FACILITIES   |   CONTACT   |  

Information on the village of St. Boswells in Scotland.

Back to: St Boswells News and Calendar


Minutes of the Meeting of St Bioswells Parish Communit Council held on 25th February 2016

St Boswells Community Council
Minutes of Meeting of 25 February 2016
Lesser Hall, St Boswells Village Hall
at 7.30pm

D Oliver advised the meeting of what to do in the event of a fire.

Attending: D Oliver, R Parker, A Marks, J Pollock, S Pollock, D Black, M Evans, Councillor Stewart and 2 members of the public

Apologies: A Drummond, K Hughes and PC J Dawson

Minutes of Last Meeting: On the proposal of M Evans seconded by A Marks the minute of meeting held on 28 January 2016 was approved

Police Report:
The following statistics are for January 2016.
5 road checks were carried out resulting in the detection of 1 offence for speeding. There has been 1 reported incident of a telephone scam when a caller attempted to obtain bank details and 1 report of vandalism to a vehicle parked at Dryburgh Abbey Hotel.

Matters Arising
• War Memorial – The Community Council has applied to the Small Grant Fund for a grant to allow the first stage of the project to be completed, namely ground testing and obtaining a structural engineers report. Awaiting confirmation of grant.
• Buccleuch Estates request for ground held by Community Council – No updated information available.
• Grass Cutting – 3 written tenders received and considered by meeting. The tender received from GB Landscaping approved. Secretary will confirm in writing. R Parker will share this information with the Countryside Access Officer to ascertain if they can assume any responsibility for some routes.
• Resilient Communities – agreed that Community Council would actively support existing community organizations rather than set up or recommend a separate group.
• Village Spring Clean – Confirmed Saturday 02 April 2016 at 10.00am and to advertise in Post office and Church Newsletter. R Parker has contacted A Finnie, SBC and passed note to Primary School, ATC and Guides, and prepared posters.
• Posts at Green Track – Contractor has visited site and options were discussed by meeting which approved the installation of square posts set in concrete. A Marks, Treasurer confirmed that the Community Council held sufficient funds for this specification.
• Garden Competition –A Drummond to contact Travis Perkins, who has bought over Keyline, to discuss continued sponsorship. The options paper for the future operation of the competition and M Evans proposals were considered and debated resulting in a decision to largely maintain the status quo with the amendment that the event will be advertised, recording a fixed date for judging and confirming that the competition will apply to only front gardens visible from the street. Prizes will be awarded to the best garden and a runner up and the best hanging basket
• Any other matters outstanding – The meeting considered the proposal from (St B Resident) that the Community Council prepare a leaflet for distribution to every St Boswells household regarding dog fouling and litter. Councillor Scott was asked to report on the SBC Strategy adopted on 25 February 2016 ‘Responsible Dog Ownership Strategy and Action Plan’ (Papers/report may be obtained from SBC website/ Homepage/Agendas). The Community Council decided to fully support the SBC initiative and to take no action in respect of the (St B Resident) proposal.

SBC Councillor Report:
• SBC Budget for 2016/17 approved with dissenting votes from Councillors who did not wish the Tapestry Funding included while there are more urgent expenditure needs such as repairing the road infrastructure.
• Some discussion about the inaccuracy of reports in the Southern Reporter regarding staff redundancies (it should have read redundant posts), the contracting out of the IT Service (no decision has yet been made) and the Factory Unit for the Tapestry (it appears that some reports that the project is subject to a complete review are overstated)
• SBC is about to commence discussions with the bus companies regarding the service provided, the level of SBC subsidy and integration/coordination with the train service.
• Clarification of the ‘Councillors Code of Conduct’ confirmed that it was a national requirement and not something designed by SBC.

Correspondence:
Correspondence list attached to minute of meeting

Treasurers Report:
A Marks reported the following;
• Balance brought forward from 28 January 2016 - £2244.35
• Income received – Nil
• Expenditure – £25 to Post Office for Christmas Tree Lights and £30 for Mainstreet Trading gift voucher
• Monies Carried forward at 25 February 2016 - £2189.35
• The Road on the Green maintenance Fund (based on 10% income) is £116.45 leaving a balance of £2072.90 normal funds available

Planning:
• No updated information about the Chip Shop windows SBC Planning decision.
• No applications considered

Any other business:
• Benrig Cemetery – D Oliver has spoken with landowner regarding partial removal of hedge to effect roadside parking and proposes to speak to remaining landowners who have property adjacent to the cemetery.
• Complaint received about the smell coming from the Biomass Unit at Charlesfield, the increase number of heavy vehicles using the Charlesfield access road and the time of day/night that vehicles are using the road. R Parker reported that he had spoken with a family resident close to the Biomass Unit and was advised that the above concerns are occasional rather than persistent. The meeting would reconsider the matter if any additional or conflicting information became available.
• D Black confirmed that the bench from Braeheads is being repaired.
• Member of the public raised the issue of the dead cherry trees in Lessudden Park. Councillor Stewart agreed to follow up with Scottish Borders Housing Association
• Community Woodland – R Parker meeting with Representatives from Buccleuch Estates to look at options for future community use
• Councillor Stewart confirmed that some money remains in the SBC Community Grant Scheme and that we should consider if we have any other requirements. D Oliver said he would look into the issues surrounding the wall box for the defibrillator

Date and time of next meeting
31 March 2016 @ 7.30 in the Lesser Hall of Village Hall.

Minutes of the Meeting of St Bioswells Parish Communit Council held on 25th February 2016, Scotland