| the-scottish-villages.co.uk | | st. boswells scotland |

St. Boswells Scotland

  |   HOME   |   LOCATION   |   HISTORY   |   FACILITIES   |   CONTACT   |  

Information on the Parish of Mertoun in Scotland.

The Adjacent Parish of Mertoun

A Brief History of Mertoun Kirk
Dryburgh Abbey, situated in the present parish of Mertoun, was founded by the Premonstratensians in 1150 AD. To this Abbey Hugo de Morville gave the church of Mertoun........


Ministers of Mertoun Kirk since the Reformation


Mertoun War Memorial


Dryburgh Village
The existence of much of the village is due to the works and concern of David Stuart Erskine, 11th Earl of Buchan........


Bemersyde House
The central part of the house, is the rebuilt peel tower which was destroyed by the English during their raids of 1547........


The Haigs of Bemersyde
The present Earl Haig was educated at Cargilfield, Stowe and Oxford........


The Dukes of Sutherland
The title was created in 1833 for George Granville Leveson-Gower........


John Sutherland Egerton, 6th Duke of of Sutherland
Educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge........


Francis Egerton, 7th Duke of Sutherland
In 2000, he succeeded his first cousin, once removed, as 7th Duke of Sutherland........

Back to: History of St. Boswells